Weekends can be kryptonite to your weight-loss program. Many of my clients find it easy to eat well during the week due to the structure of their schedules. When Saturday comes the change in schedule can make it difficult to stay on the right track.
1. Stick to your eating schedule
Just because your daily activities are different on the weekends doesn’t mean your eating times have to be. If you normally have a snack between breakfast and lunch continue to do that. Eat every 3-4 hours to prevent yourself from over-eating at your next meal. You don’t have to plan your whole day of meals, just know what is coming next. When you’re done with breakfast, figure out what you will eat in three hours. Preparation will be one of your best defenses.
2. Mix It Up
It is fine to eat out or try something new on the weekends, just don’t go overboard. If you want a slice of pizza, go for it. Pick a thin crust with vegetables and pair it with a salad. If you’re craving a sweet treat like ice cream, then indulge. Pick a kids size dish or if you’re at home eat it out of a ram-kin and never out of the carton.
3. Two Wrongs Don’t Make A Right
When you find yourself overstuffed and feeling guilty the best thing you can do is learn from it and move on. If you make a food choice that wasn’t beneficial for your weight-loss program, then use the rest of your day to make better decisions. Don’t let one unhealthy food choice lead to ten unhealthy choices. Just because you blow breakfast Saturday morning you don’t have to stay on the junk food wagon until Monday morning. Start making better choices that day and you will be in much better shape.
4. Party Time
Weekends are also the time that many people consume alcohol. Here are a few better choices to make when you choose to drink.
- Watch your mixers. Those drinks from the cocktail list are usually packed with sugary juices and syrups.
- If you drink hard alcohol pair it with soda water and ask for it in a tall glass. Your drink will last longer and it will be diluted with water and ice.
- If you prefer wine try a spritzer with soda water. Again your drink will last longer.
- If you do choose to drink beer pick a light one like MGD 64.
- Make sure you eat dinner before you go out, you don’t want to end up hungry at the end of the night and feasting on bar food.
Be aware of your weaknesses. If the end of the week is a challenge for you, just being conscious of it can make a difference. Remember to take it one meal at a time.
Photo Credit: http://candlefind.com